Our History

From humble beginnings more than one-hundred years ago, First Baptist Church, Newport News has been faithful to God’s calling for us to serve our community and beyond. As we have been willing to step out in faith and take risks, God has blessed us. In looking back at our journey, we can clearly see God’s hand guiding our path.

Early Years

First Baptist Church, Newport News began as Newport News Baptist Church in 1881. On June 14, 1883, the church organized with 12 members and with Rev. L.R. Milbourne as pastor. Their first place of worship was Union Chapel, used by several Christian denominations.

In 1888, the Rev. Isaac Gates gave five lots at the corner of 29th Street and Washington Avenue to the church, stipulating that the Baptists had to erect a structure comparing favorably with any other religious structure in town. Subsequently, they erected a brick building on the site and dedicated it on November 23, 1890.

By 1901, the priority was the building of a new and larger church building. The location was moved to the middle of the block on 29th Street.

The first service in the beautiful new building was held December 20, 1903, but it was gutted by fire January 27, 1906. Within fifteen months, the church was rebuilt, using the same design and types of materials and on May 12, 1907, services were resumed.

In 1930, a spacious, fireproof three-story education building was added.

After World War II, First Baptist flourished, setting records in enrollment, attendance and mission giving. First Baptist also began what would become Orcutt, Ivy Memorial, Calvary, Hilton, and Riverside Churches. The church and city grew together until the mid fifties when people and businesses began moving to the suburbs.

Satellite Ministry

In 1976, First Baptist Church implemented a unique outreach by beginning a satellite ministry midtown on Warwick Boulevard while continuing to operate the downtown location. The property was purchased in July of 1977 for a new chapel and educational space and services began in Yates School across from the church’s suburban property. The first suburban unit was completed in October 1979.

Church Expansion

Father’s Day 1999 was a special day as the first worship service in the new sanctuary was held. By 2004, our church body felt the need for further expansion and the congregation authorized the creation of a master plan to include space for education, Leland Seminary and fellowship. In July of 2006 this phase, including specialized areas for our preschool, children and youth were completed.

Sunday

8:30 a.m.
Traditional Service

9:45 a.m.
Sunday School

11 a.m.
Contemporary Service

12:30 p.m.
Hispanic Service

Wednesday

5 p.m.
Family Night Supper

6 p.m.
Music Ministry Groups
Youth Ministry Groups
Children’s Ministry Groups

6:30 p.m.
Hispanic Ministry Study

Follow Us

Sunday

8:30 a.m.
Traditional Service

9:45 a.m.
Sunday School

11 a.m.
Contemporary Service

12:30 p.m.
Hispanic Service

Wednesday

5 p.m.
Family Night Supper

6 p.m.
Music Ministry Groups
Youth Ministry Groups
Children’s Ministry Groups

6:30 p.m.
Hispanic Ministry Study

Follow Us

First Baptist Church, Newport News  | 12716 Warwick Blvd, Newport News, VA 23606 • (757) 930-0911 |  Email: staff@fbcnn.org

First Baptist Church, Newport News
12716 Warwick Blvd, Newport News, VA 23606
(757) 930-0911 • Email: staff@fbcnn.org